11/7/04

Update

Memorable moments from the past week;

* We moved into the main floor of our house from the basement suite
on the 31. It was a great feeling of freedom to be able to go
wherever we wanted and explore the new environment. The kitchen
is beautiful with high-end appliances and design. Lots of
storage, gas range, Corian counter tops. A wonderful place to be
with our family.
* My daughter is ambivalent about the hardwood floors but has
certainly enjoyed the fact that the entire place was baby safe
since we had no furniture. :-)
* On Sunday we carved a pumpkin and put it out on the front step and
handed out candy to neighborhood children and their accompanying
posse of adults. I felt very adult.
* Had a fun interlude with my daughter on the front deck. I swept
it off and encouraged to come outside, appropriately attired in
the her purple fleece jacket and velour pants. She went to the
glass railing and looked through. Turned around and saw the baby
in the reflection of the sliding door. High speed crawling back
to the door. Turns around, a baby reflecting in the glass in the
railing. Saddle up and away we go. This went on for a good 10
minutes. On a side note she eventually napped for 2 hours. Lots
of fun for her.
* Worked Monday and then had a Transit Advisory Committee meeting.
Thankfully, they have brought in a professional facilitator to
make the meetings more effective. Kudos to them for recognizing
things weren't going well and changing their approach.
* Took the Skytrain home on a night that made me think that Noah may
have been onto something. Came out of the station to see the bus
I needed pulling away from the stop as I was 30 feet away. 9:30
at night, pouring rain, half an hour to the next bus. So I walked
up the hill. Cold and wet but relaxing at the same time. I was
pretty soaked by the time I saw my house and seeing the glow of
the front yard lights brought the tune of the CCR song Long as I
Can See the Light to mind. There is a magic to summer songs and
the music of your youth...actually my parents youth... :-)
*

Put a candle in the window
'cause I feel I gotta move.
Thought I'm goin' goin'
I'll be comin home soon
long as I can see the light.

* Busy day at Venue West on Tuesday. Pounded through a bunch of
work and then caught the train to my parents where my wife and
daughter had been all day. Had dinner and then loaded up the
whole fam damily to head home again. Loving the fact the commute
is substantially shorter.
* Spend Wednesday with my daughter. Pancakes in the morning,
playing with the ball and associated toys, snuggling will drinking
the bottle, nap, repeat.
* Thursday and Friday ... wife in design frenzy. Happy that she can
go out and buy things and change things in her house. Paint
chips appended to various walls. Somewhat of an unstoppable
force.... all those hours watching design shows are paying off.
* Worked from home, somewhat worked at least, Friday. A little
persistence and a 50 foot network cable meant I could sit in the
kitchen and work and remote into my desktop computer from the
laptop using TightVNC. Ran the cable out of the office, down the
hall, out the basement window, up the deck and back in the kitchen
window. I've got to get wireless. :-)
* Saturday was laundry, cleaning, bonding with baby and our first
dinner guests. My brother in law and nephew came over for some
squash-pear soup, buns and meat and cheese. Simple but nice.
Enjoying cooking with a gas range and the instant heat.
* The place is starting to come together - have the family room set
up, figured out how the appliances work and settling in.
* Heading to Bowen tomorrow for a wine and cheese with a retired
transportation planner I'm doing some pro-bono database work for.
Should be a bunch of counsellers and other participants in the
survey process. I was referred to this by my current boss who
also lives on Bowen.
* Reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. It validates many a
rant I've had about improper use of language and punctuation.
* Time for some sleep....the days go by so fast.
*


No comments: