12/14/06

I'm brave, I'm brave

A bit of context:



I have been reading a book to Felicity called "The tunnel" which involves a sister and a brother that do not get along. There mother sends them out of the house with orders to play together down to the vacant lot. Brother finds a dark tunnel and goes through it and disappears.



Sister is nervous but overcomes this and is brave and goes through the tunnel, into the wood, passes through the forest with lions, tigers and bears and finds brother who has been turned to stone. She hugs him, he revives, they pass back through the forest etc. and arrive home for lunch with a shared understanding.



We talk a lot about being brave as being able to do things that make you nervous or afraid.



Earlier this week Felicity and I were talking about the book and she looks at me and says I'm not scared in the tunnel because I know where my daddy is. I must admit it got a little dusty in the room for a moment. :-)



Back to the main narrative. I pick her up from daycare yesterday and we go to the swimming pool. The pool has a 3 story water slide that begins fully enclosed and completely dark as you drop for 6 or 7 seconds. That was a shock the first time we did it last year.



So we climb the stairs for the first time and talk about the tunnel and the slide. We drop in and I tell her she is doing very well as we round the turns in the dark.



The next time up we sit down, 1,2,3 and we plunge into the tunnel. Suddenly I hear this little voice in the darkness going:



I'm brave, I'm brave, I'm brave. :-)

No comments: